Wednesday 5 December 2012

Passing it on

It gives me such a sense of satisfaction when the children show and interest in what I am doing when I'm sat down crafting.  Ethan and Sophie show the most interest, and when I am spinning or sewing, Sophie will often come and sit on my lap and want to join in.  With spinning, she hasn't quite got it yet, but will pretend to draft the wool as I spin, and she enjoys the wool slipping through her fingers. 

With sewing she finds this a little easier.  She has, with help, been doing some blanket stitch on some of the Christmas bunting I have been making recently.  I have a wonderful image in my head of her sat on my lap a month or so ago, as I was embroidering the word "Friendship" onto a blessing bunting flag, and she was sat on my lap helping to pull the needle through.  It just summed up everything about that moment. 


Ethan has shown some interest in sewing, in fact will try to identify the stitch I am making at any one time.  And when they were sewing on buttons in class a few weeks ago (learning about "make do and mend" in the second world war) he ended up going around the class helping others!!  However, for him, knitting has been his proudest moment.  His first completed scarf using some of that frilly scarf yarn.  I thought he mighht give it to his teacher as a Christmas present, but instead he decided to put it in an Operation Christmas Child shoe box.  So he now has his first knitted item in another country.  Such an amazing gesture. 

I would love to think of them expanding their crafting, but only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. There you are! I got the same message and haven't done anything yet other than removed some old photos and resized some.
    It would be so wonderful If they both keep crafting, always such pleasure from 'making something'.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete